Monday, November 14, 2011

Flat Bread Dough

The flat bread pizza was a success! Mostly.. I will share my mistakes to help you avoid them :)

Here is the recipe for the dough!

You will need:








  • 6 1/2 C wheat flour *see bottom
  • 1 Tbs raw sugar
  • 1 1/2 Tbs salt
  • 1 1/2 Tbs granulated yeast (fast acting)
  • 2  3/4 C warm water
  • 1/4 C olive oil





Add the water, salt, sugar, oil, and mix until dissolved


Stir in 2 1/2 Cups of flour, then stir in the yeast


Mix in the rest of the flour in 1-2 cup increments. I switched to these claws half way through. It was better than the spoon.. but I ended up getting messy and using my hands to get all of the flour mixed in. It's super sticky so mix in as much flour as you can before digging in.


This is a 'no knead' recipe so just get all the flour mixed in

Let it rise for 2 hours then use as you please! You can zip lock it and refrigerate for later use for up to 12 days


For flat bread pizza, take 1/4 of the dough and roll it out onto a piece of wax paper. Spray it with pam first. It sticks!! I made the mistake of using too much dough. It will rise slightly in the oven, so for a thin crispy flat bread crust, roll out as thin as possible. Be careful it isn't too thin to transfer onto your preheated pan.

Pre-heat your oven to 500, along with the pan

Transfer your pizza onto the hot pan. I found the easiest way was to turn it completely over onto the pan, then gently remove the wax paper.

Quickly add your choice ingredients, then bake for 10-12 minutes, checking it periodically. With the higher temperature it will burn quickly if you're not careful!


As I mentioned, mine was a little thicker than what I was aiming for, but it was still a success! I saved my dough and will be trying this again next week. :) In the next post I will share my recipe for this amazing tomato basil pizza!

*The flour
I am fortunate enough to have an amazing mother-in-law who has taught me how to make my own flour. She not only taught me, she provides me with buckets of whole grain. She also gave me a counter top mill, and a mixer with a kneading arm. So the flour I used came from a red wheat whole grain... it is a heavier flour, so I added a little bit of store bought organic oat flour to lighten it up a bit. For great results, try using half organic whole wheat, and half white wheat. If you are interested in making your own flour I can get the information for you on how to get what you need! It is super easy, and super healthy.

Any recipe I try, I change it to make it as healthy as possible.. 1, for the health benefits, and 2 so my husband might actually try what I make :)

No comments:

Post a Comment